View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 05:12 AM   #11
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
And no, computer "memory" and "storage" is not the same thing. TECHNICALLY, sure, but let's not get people confused geekmaster.
As you say, TECHNICALLY I am correct, so it is YOU (and others) who are confusing people by misusing TECHNICAL terminology in a WRONG and MISLEADING manner.

What you call STORAGE is mmc flash MEMORY. Flash memory is a form of nonvolatile MEMORY. The part of it that you see as a USB drive only LOOKS like a hard drive, but it is really flash MEMORY.

Sure, you can STORE stuff on it, but you also STORE stuff in DRAM, and in fact those contents are nonvolatile as well (even when in screensaver mode), unless your kindle gets restarted.

It is you who are misusing the terminology (and perhaps others here). Yes, in the kindle there are two types of MEMORY just like I said. And the operating system treats them both the same way. What looks like a hard drive is partly in RAM (/tmp), and partly on the mmc flash memory (the root partition, and the exported USB drive partition).

What looks like "RAM" can also be on both devices because linux maps files in using virtual memory. The files are assigned CPU memory addresses. But move back and forth between mmc and RAM depending on CPU load.

I believe that you are misusing technical terminology. Not me.

If you wish to distinguish between the different types of memory storage devices used in the kindle, the CORRECT names are RAM and MMC. They are NOT "memory" and "storage".

Before you falsely accuse me of being wrong again, please look up the definitions of the words. I will even help educate you so you can stop telling people who design this stuff and have used it on a daily basis for decades that THEY are wrong.

Both of the following quoted defining phrases are the first links in the first sentence of each page:

Wikipedia defines MMC (what you call STORAGE) as "flash memory memory card": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MultiMediaCard.

Wikipedia defines RAM (what you call MEMORY) as "computer data storage": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random-access_memory

You have your terminology the EXACT OPPOSITE of Wikipedia. You will find examples supporting your usage too, which just proves my statement that MEMORY and STORAGE are interchangeable and mean exactly the same thing.

Please stop telling ME that I am wrong until you get your own terminology straight, which is really what "confuses people" (as you said).

P.S. At least HarryT clearly defined his usage of "memory" and "storage" (above) as "memory - RAM" and "file storage space". Those complete phrases are technically accurate, but just using the bare interchangeable words by themselves is not accurate. Accurately using language is critical when you choose to participate in a debate such as this (especially when your argument goes AGAINST the supporting evidence: Wikipedia in this case).

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-19-2012 at 09:50 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote