View Single Post
Old 06-21-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I would be happy if I don't have to pay taxes every time I buy a Kindle book though.
Technically, you're supposed to pay taxes on them even if they're out-of-state purchases. They fall under "use tax" and you're supposed to report them on your state income tax forms. (Nobody does.)

Part of the problem with the economy is that parts of government services are paid for by taxes that aren't being collected, and companies (1) aren't investing that money in a way that benefits the state (if they were planning on doing so, why would Amazon be trying to get out of sales taxes?) and (2) the government fiscal structure hasn't shifted to deal with a substantial portion of tax-free commerce.

I think that we can agree, at least, that the tax system is messed up, and a lot of thought should be put into what's allowed to change it, because it needs to not get worse.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote