View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 06:25 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by durtreg View Post
Reading your post, the option most suitable for me seems "when the book is being saved to disk".
- When does this happen?
- What I get by right-clicking on a book, selecting "save to disk" I get a dialog which allows me to export a book, but not to save it to the library?
- can I force all books to be rewritten?
Ah, allow me to clarify. I am assuming, as is the intention of Calibre, that you use the program to transfer books to your device (as in you plug in the reader via USB and transfer the books using the "send to device" function). If you do that, your metadata should, at the very least, reflect the state at the time you transferred the book (automatic metadata management may vary that, but as I said before, I have no experience and thus will not elaborate). The copy inside the Calibre library is considered to be outside the users' direct reach for the purpose of using Calibre. Books should only be accessed using the content server, the send to device function or the save to disk function. Save to disk is considered to be a method to export the book to a hard disk that is no device. You cannot, to my knowledge, force all the library books to have their metadata updated unless you were to export your entire library using the save to disk function, in which case the exported files would be outside Calibre's reach, so you'd have to update their metadata (through overwriting during a re-export or something other) manually every time you edit the metadata inside Calibre.

dwanthny has a good questions: You do actually use Calibre to send your books to device, do you? And do you have the metadata writer plugin for PDF enabled (see preferences->plugins)? If so, considering that your metadata management is set to automatic, it is my understanding that Calibre would automatically keep the metadata on your device current every time you plug it in. (Again, I've never used the function... but that's what the help text says )
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote