View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011, 08:01 AM   #13
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Patita: The warranty can be found here: http://download.kobobooks.com/learnm...h_Warranty.pdf

With regards to charging via PC, the little fold out ("welcome" slip in my box did say "To charge your eReader, connect it to your computer using the USB cable" so I guess that is the official instructions, though if it is listed in a FAQ on their site I would say they would be hard pressed to bring it up as an issue.

Maybe it's just the party line to avoid any issues with 3rd party charger which they have not control over, so it is fair enough from that perspective - not fair for Kobo Support to have to diagnose faulty chargers, or perhaps ones unable to provide enough current.

From a technical perspective there should be no issue using a AC powerpak/charger. Any charger the provides more than the 0.8A (Amps) and 5V (Volts) - what the Kobo Touch is specified to need. The Volts is the real important part, though no usb style charger should be anything other than 5V.

I believe USB ports can provide power when computer off under the specification but unlike when the computer is on and it can negotiate the draw I think there are some default values (100mA, 500mA, 1A etc..). Potentially why it was suggest the computer be on (plus some machines may not provide said power when off?).

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Sorry just saw you said Kobo Wireless not Touch. The Wireless warranty is on this page (http://kobobooks.com/wifi_support) use the drop menu to download. The User guide has the same connect to computer to charge and the draw for this is 0.7A rather than the 0.8A for Touch. If it is still saying connect to charge but the light is indicating charging it may still be charging, it's just not ticking the screen over because it's not registering the computer connecting. If you plug in and charge this way (charger) does the battery bar go up after leaving it like that? Anyway maybe a Kobo Wifi user can chime in, though this is a Kobo Touch thread.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote