View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 01:24 PM   #11
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubaddictions View Post
Hmmm, too late right now to poke around and try to learn up on that. What exactly is "multiline"?
It's searching for something that starts on one line and finishes on another or searching and replacing end of line characters, like CR and LF.

Quote:
Is it just that you're looking at characters that all on two separate lines? If that's the case then I imagine you're right, Notepad++ might not work for me.
I'm pretty sure it will work, but you may have to do it in more than one step.
Quote:
Regarding the replacement of CR and LF's...not sure how I can do that while leaving intact those line breaks that were intended by the author.
I'm not suggesting that you eliminate any line breaks you don't want. I'm suggesting you may want to try replacing the line breaks (which you can find with non-regex searches) with a unique character string. That avoids the multiline problem. Then you can do regex searches, then you can finish up by replacing the remaining unique strings with line breaks as needed. It's just one way to avoid having to do a regex multiline search.

I'm sure a user of Notepad++ will show up soon and give better advice on how to do this. In Ultraedit to fix text files, I often replace all double line breaks with the text string "parapara," then I replace all remaining single line breaks with a space, then go back and replace all the "parapara" strings with a single break. I was suggesting a variation of that approach for Notepad++.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote