View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010, 05:57 AM   #10
Fastolfe
Bookworm
Fastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhudston View Post
You can if you want to, it's called jail breaking.
You can't if you just want to be a normal user who just wants to use the device. I can goof around with computers as well as the next guy, and I'm aware the iPad has been jailbroken (which works until Apple decides to release a patch I suppose), but I just don't want to: it's a pain in the neck, it voids the warranty, and with a device like this, I just want it to work.

Same reason I'm not going to flash my Sony Reader to get a clock and slightly better fonts: I just can't be bothered. Some things I want to hack, some I don't.

Quote:
What's pathetic about Wif and 3G, more than most laptops.
Sorry I should have been clearer, I meant the lack of USB and ethernet ports. Those you get in a regular laptop, and (at least USB ports), in other tablets too.

Quote:
I've printed since its launch, so your wrong there, yes it needs additional software, but then you need that for most PC's they are called printer drivers
Printing without a Wifi-enabled printer, and without a USB port? Fat chance... I'm pretty sure the iPad can't print to an IR printer either. And no, I don't want to have a computer running and sharing its printer just to do that, or buy a new printer.

Quote:
As for Apples business model, show me one business, who is in it for anything but the money? The whole point of being in business is make money out of something other people want.
If people want to let Apple tell them what they can or can't run on *their* iPad, fine by me. I don't.

My idea of an honest business model is to sell the iPad, sell the possibility of buying through the Apple app store (better support, better integrated software, safe and PG13, yada yada), but also let iPad owners install whatever else they want if they choose not to.

Heck, they can even refuse to honor the warranty if I install unapproved 3rd party software. I'm a big boy, I can decide if that's what I want to do, but they should at least let me decide. Apple however behaves like daddy who needs to shield his slightly retarded child from the bad bad world of buggy or inappropriate software. Sure the Apple experience is slick as a result, but the price to my freedom would be too high.

Quote:
Apple seem to be really really successfull at this, and other seem to be jelous their success! This world is full of people who obviously have nothing better to do with their time and slag off companies or brands simply because they don't like them.
My friend, I hate to tell you this, but you really come across as something of an Apple fanboy. In the real world where I live, people don't give a toss about a company's success and aren't jealous of them. Me, I look at the value proposition of an iPad for 5 seconds, then I move on to the next aisle: that's how long I think about the Apple company when I pay a visit to my local computer shop.

I don't fondle myself thinking about Linux or Windows either: I just don't care about them, as long as they meet a certain number of technical and ethical criteria. Beyond that, I don't care, I have better things to do in my life really.

Quote:
Me I just buy what gadget I find useful in my life and let others get on with the slanging match, except for today, because I'm bored and sat in Starbucks on my IPad!!!!
If you're happy with your iPad, that's all that matters. I'm glad you are. I was just stating why I wouldn't be happy with it myself. I wasn't dissing Apple, no need to get your pants in a knot...
Fastolfe is offline   Reply With Quote