View Single Post
Old 08-15-2010, 03:47 PM   #11
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
If you don't already have one, invest in an external USB hard drive. You should have one anyway (or a combination of several) that has a little bit more capacity as the hard drive in your new computer to keep back ups on. If you feel that is too expensive a solution, how much do you value what you have on your computer? Do you really want to risk losing it all to a crash, etc.?
Even better, buy a drive enclosure from New Egg or someone (mine's a $69 Rosewill USB/eSATA) and stick the HD from your old computer (mine was a nearly new .5 Tb--Curse you Michael Dell, and your cheap processors) into the enclosure.

Viola, instant backup. I've seen them as cheap as $20, but dude, it's a backup! I can move it from one computer to another backing up as I go. If it ever gets filled, by that time, one of the other machines may be dying and I'll buy another enclosure or a bigger drive for the enclosure.

As an aside, my work computer suffered a hard drive failure a while ago. The disk recovery company just stripped all of the readable data onto a 140 GB ext. USB drive and mailed it to us. I guess it was cheaper than making all those DVD+Rs. My question is, where did they find a USB drive that small?

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote