View Single Post
Old 05-10-2008, 02:28 PM   #3
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Hi Ross
Welcome to the Forum

As for the best choice for you, if all your needs are equal, you have to split the difference, as neither of the readers does all 4.

While The Illiad does allow Resonably good library management, and folder navigation (if I understand it correctly) it does not have very good batter life, as compared to the Cybook (Hours instead of days).

The Cybook on the other hand does not allow folder navigation, and displays all your books as a list. While Booken has said that they may enable folder navigation in the future, there is no concrete promise and as such you can't really count on it. The battery life on the other hand will be much better then the Illiad, lasting from up to a couple of weeks to the illiads, 15-20 hours.

Both Support Mobipocket so that is not an issue.

As for carrying your whole library around, The Cybook does support upto 2GB SD Cards, and might get support for SDHC in the future, but again no promises. The Illiad can I believe use upto 8GB CF cards (I'm not sure of higher capacities).

The questions you have to ask, is

1) Is the size important. The Cybook is the size of a paperback book, easy to carry around with you and easy to use in cramped quarters. The Illiad is About the size or slightly larger then a A4 sheet of paper, so while you have a larger screen, it is more cumbersome to carry and use not to mention heavier.

2) Is it a purely reading device. Do you just want it just for reading, or do you want to be able to make notes on it, surf the web, run additional programs on it. If Its just reading, Then The Cybook should more then suffice, however if you want to do more, the Illiad might be a better option.

3) You said that you are not interested in PDF's, so that leaves out one of the main benefits of the Illiad, that is much better for PDF usage, with the larger screen and slightly better support.

4) How important is it to you to have your whole library with you at all times and be able to manage it on the device. The Illiad currently does have better options for that at the current time.

Personally, I chose the CyBook, as I wanted a dedicated reading device which i could easily carry around with me. I can toss it into my Jacket pocket or into my bag without really noticing its size or weight.

Correction:
Size of Illiad should be A5 not A4.

Last edited by bbusybookworm; 05-13-2008 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Mistake in size
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote