Thread: Bug report
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #166
Bonex
Connoisseur
Bonex began at the beginning.

Device: KDXG, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD
Hi there!

Yesterday I installed the 2.0.4 EURO firmware on my PB 902.
I must say I'm disappointed by it and later I'll try to return back to 2.0.3. I hope it is possible.
First of all, as reported by some other user, the reader completely hanged during the process for no apparent reason. No error message, no nothing. I had to remove the battery to reset it and, fortunately, when I turned the reader back on, the update continued and ended succesfully. No need to say that I expect the programmers, in the future, to test the firmwares better.
Then, the reason why I installed it is because the dictionary doesn't work well with the Adobe PDF Reader. I select a word, but the reader instead of showing its meaning, it displays a list, like when the word isn't in the dictionary. Ironically, the first entry of the list is often the one I need! The new f/w not only didn't fix it but is even worse! Now I have to wait for the reader to look up and display every single word I encounter while moving towards the one I need, so the process becomes really slow.
I also noticed that the virtual keyboard is less responsive. When I start to write a new word to look up, I often have to push two or three times the direction arrow or keep it pressed a little longer before the reader catches it.

Here's a summary of bugs I noticed:

1. In Adobe Reader the dictionary almost never finds the word I select. Even simple words like "from" or "some".
2. The dictionary, with both epub's and pdf's, is now painfully slow because it tries to look up and display each word I encounter while moving the cursor to the word I need. Isn't it possible to have the meaning of a word displayed only when I confirm with the center button?
3. The virtual keyboard is less responsive.
4. I remember that in f/w 2.0.2 the whole word was highlighted while using the dictionary with epub's, then with 2.0.3 it started to show only a thin bar. Pdfviewer, though, still has the old behaviour (which looks better, IMO).
4b. Using the TTS, the sentence that is being read is not highlighted. Instead some black bar is drawn on the left of the screen. On youtube there are videos of last IFA where you can see the correct behaviour! Again a feature that gets worse?
5. In Library with the option to show both book details and covers, the wrong author is shown for PDF's. I noticed that the reader keeps showing the same name that was displayed in the same location a moment before for another book. To reproduce it: create two directories, one with some epubs, the other with pdf's. Open the epub dir. The author of the first book is, say, "Bonex". Now open the pdf dir. The first book is for example a novel by Agatha Christie but the reader displays "Bonex" again.
6. I noticed that the "Digital Editions" directory contains thumbnails for the pdf books I have, but they are never displayed in the Library.
7. If you don't touch any button for a few minutes the clock is grayed out on the status bar. With 2.0.3 if you pushed a button you could hear a noise from the speakers. You can still hear it with 2.0.4 (but it is quieter).
Bonex is offline   Reply With Quote