View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #51
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
That's a fairly old post, but still quite relevant. Some of the comments posted about the reviews are still valid in the face of this though (if somewhat exaggerated).
Yes, I wrote it a long time ago but quoted it because I tire of reiterating the same idea on boards on which people ought to know better. This is a board dedicated to reading, for the love of Steve Allen. I shouldn't have to explain the fallacy of consumer individuality to people who are capable of grasping Roland Barthes.

They're called brands for a reason, and the branding iron is never far from the consumer or the product.

Notice that afv01's last post is all about practical limitations and comparisons, and doesn't resort to a series of xenophobic assumptions about strangers who buy The Other Brand or easy lists of negative attributes. He kills the Mini rhetorically, but he does it helpfully. Anything else would be peer pressure masquerading as criticism.

If someone honestly hates hype, then they won't substitute anti-hype-hype for information, or empirical experience.

No ideas but in things, as W.C. Williams once said. Describing a thing accurately is the best way to express an opinion.

Sabredog:

I liked your teleread review because the writer dispensed with the narrative of the brand. No, Gizmodo and Engadget, you don't need to summarize the meaning of an Apple tablet for any of your readers, nor does your verdict matter. Just tell us about the experience of using what's in front of you as accurately as you can.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-06-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote