View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012, 09:20 AM   #30
Cameronpaterson
Addict
Cameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
I too would like to see more awards. I do remember the first time we saw the creative for them and they looked extremely tantalizing to say the least.

I have a feeling I've mentioned on the other thread about the two different types of awards (server side and client side). Long story short, server side is the way to go if possible, it allows new awards to be given without a new app version being released. Typically something like "have two books from this author in your library to get this award" is something that can be done server side. The app will happily consume this new award when you meet the requirements.

The client side ones, well, as said, new app version needed for that, and unless it is some ultra-special award, or we are releasing a whole batch of new awards, the effort, both dev and QA is rather high to release a new app whose only new feature would be new awards. Personally I'm not against it, but we would need to sell the idea to management.

I've just had a very, very quick look at the getglue site. Do the stickers come in the app as well as being mailed out to you, or are they only mailed?

If I'm reading you correctly, then would something like; Tap and hold on book cover in library, tap the "I liked it" button and you'd get a new award for that book (circle with the book cover image in it, text saying something like "Cameronpaterson liked 'Neuromancer by William Gibson'", and then you can share that award to FB, Twitter, Email, as you can with the other awards.

That or if you add a specific book from a specific publisher(s) (don't forget that different countries can have different publishers for the same book, so we'd need to ideally tie it up with all the pubs for a book in all regions if it's not a worldwide book), then it'd give you the book like award if you purchase it (hmm, sounds like a server side thing to me)
Hi Sharkus: the physical stickers you can order from Getglue are really only an optional extra: when unlocked within the app, they appear just like awards in Kobo or badges in foursquare. In Getglue you also receive an email about the sticker/ award, and can download a higher res graphic of it if you so wish.
I mainly use Getglue for movie/ film check-ins (I go to the cinema a lot) and I've noticed that many of the stickers I've unlocked are time-limited - only issued within the opening week of a particular film etc. I guess that gives them some kind of scarcity value. Many also come with messages reading something like "This was brought to you by our friends at [such and such a studio]" clearly indicating some kind of commercial tie-in.
The rest of your comments sound pretty much on the money, and certainly a server-side arrangement sound like the practical way to go if Kobo were to start releasing lots of new awards, especially book-specific and time-limited ones.
I suppose working with publishers to introduce Getglue-style title-specific awards could help to raise Kobo's profile with them, broadening your differentiation from the all-conquering Amazon/ Kindle behemoth.
Cameronpaterson is offline   Reply With Quote