View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #48
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
Been changed from Grand Wizard to Grand Sorcerer

Grand Wizard was much better (IMO)
If I didn't live in the Southern United States I might agree, but the term has very different connotations in my part of the world. Here, when someone utters the words, "Grand Wizard", it immediately puts us in mind of the Ku Klux Klan; an organization still active in our part of the world.

General Nathan Bedford Forrest founded the Klan and served as its first Grand Wizard, and his legacy is alive and well. Just last year the Mississippi chapter of the Sons of Confederate Veterans wanted to honor him on the state's automobile license plates. (We have that group in Virginia. The slogan of the Virginia chapter that you see on a lot of bumper stickers next to a picture of the Confederate battle flag says, "Heritage, not hate.") And just over a month ago in Selma, Alabama, where Dr. Martin Luther King fought many battles for civil rights, the city council decided it would be a good idea to erect a monument honoring the first Grand Wizard of the KKK. Evidently both efforts are to commentate the 150th anniversary of the beginning of the Civil War.

I'm glad the change was made. For most folks here at MobileRead it's a small thing; but for many of us, especially those of us living in a place where many have still not accepted General Lee's surrender at Appomattox in April of 1865, it unburdens us of a lot of discomfort.

I have no desire to be known as a Grand Wizard.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 10-01-2012 at 01:35 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote