View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 11:35 AM   #132
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
I expect to use an iPad for the things that I find a laptop too large, a smartphone too small, and a netbook too clunky?

Of course, it's all down to personal preferences, and if you're looking to save a few bucks and are happy to read on a netbook, then you go for it - nothing stopping you. Personally, I don't want to read on a device with a keyboard attached any more than I want to read on a device with two screens so I can pretend it's just like a book. But that's just me.
Exactly. I really want something that's basically a digital clipboard or legal pad. Thing and light and comfortable to hold on.

I'm not very interested in the two screen devices as they'll be awkward to hold with one hand and write with the other--they could be folded open I suppose, but then the screen in the back is exposed.

Quote:
As has been said many times on this thread and others, the iPad isn't trying to be all things to all people; it is what it is, and if that doesn't suit you then that's fine. Maybe someone will write an App that covers some of the functionality you're missing, and maybe they won't if they see those functions as too 'niche' to be worthwhile.
Exactly. This, and probably most tablets, aren't going to try to be everything. Tablet PCs have failed as tablets just don't work well as full PCs as you just need a keyboard and mouse for that stuff.

They can work as simplified devices for reading, document markup, light web browsing, watching videos etc. that don't require much text entry. Not everyone will need that, but many will.

Quote:
And as I said earlier, I disagree. I think there are as many people like me (who'll be happy with the device and its functions, and will be familiar with how it works from our experiences with iPod and iPhones) as there are like you, whose needs will clearly be met by something else.
Yep. I don't see the iPad selling like iPods or iPhones. Most everyone listens to music, most everyone needs a cell phone, not everyone needs a tablet.

But I do think there's a big market for tablets--students, academics/researchers, business professionals. Basically anyone that's reading larger format documents, taking notes etc. and wants to go paperless (or use less paper at least).

Though Apple may have misfired a bit by not having stylus markup etc. in this first gen. But maybe apps will fix that in combination with a capacitive stylus. If not, hopefully someone else will get it right as I do think there's a market for these.

Not the same size market as laptops/netbooks etc., but anyone that's working with printouts regularly, or reading large textbooks/technical manuals etc. could find good use for this. As well as people who read newspapers, magazines etc. regularly.

Time will tell, but I think these type of tablets will find their niche and stick around.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote