View Single Post
Old 05-26-2010, 06:04 AM   #7
thebigalphamale
thebigalphamale began at the beginning.

Device: u820, asus t91, eee pc
thought I would chime in my method that I have come up with...

scan the pages on a flatbed scanner... 150dpi or 300 dpi depending on the book to jpeg

odds then even pages if I cannot scan them 2 at a time...keep them in separate folders

use advanced jpeg compressor to batch process all the files on reduce file size settings....this cuts the file size down big time for me without loss of quality

then i use pdfmerger to merge the odd pages with the even ones (GREAT LITTLE PROGRAM)

use adobe professional to OCR the file (save as a separate file.. i just add OCR at the end of the filename)

then use adobe professional reduce file size option (i prefer this over optimize function bc it seems to keep quality higher and similar file reduction size) - (same thing add REDUCE at the end of the file name..so now it says...blah ocr reduced.pdf

then i compare all the files by quality, size etc...

original merged scan...the biggest file size
ocr
ocr plus reduced...

sometimes there is little difference between ocr and reduced files...so i may keep the ocr if it means i am only saving a few mb... but most of the time i get enough file size reduction to keep the ocr reduced file...

ive only been doing this for a little while...but ive found this works well for me and for what i have for pdf ebooks...

i am looking into making my own tripod digital camera with glass cover ebook scanner set up vs using the flatbed scanner (saw a few tutorials on making one and looks promising)... seems like you can get great quality in less time...
thebigalphamale is offline   Reply With Quote