View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #35
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Uh, there are currently over 1000 independent bookstores in the US.
Barring a few that may be newly opened to fill in gaps from the Borders implosion, most are survivors of decades of chain store competition and over 15 years of Amazon competition.

*Somebody* is buying their books.
I'm skeptical that this is a meaningful number.

When I use Indiebound.org's "Indie Store Finder," it tells me that there are 11 indie bookstores within 10 miles of me (I live in an urban area). That sounds pretty good, but when I actually look at the bookstores I find this:

(1) 1 store that, I think, fits everyone's idea of what an indie bookstore is.
(2) 3 kids "book and toy stores" (the toys are interesting educational type toys, with many wooden toys.)
(3) 1 comic book store.
(4) 1 used bookstore.
(5) 3 museum gift shops.
(6) 1 mystery bookstore that closed 3 years ago.
(7) 1 Gay/Lesbian bookstore that closed 4 years ago.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote