View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #8
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cscat View Post
First and foremost, thank you very much geekmaster AGAIN. Diags mode was successful and I recovered my documents and books I bought... AWESOME!

1. So in diags mode, I'd imagine simply putting the following line in RUNME.sh and rebooting the Touch, will replace root partition with my backup image?
Code:
dd -if /mnt/us/bak/mmcblk0p1.bin -of /dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=1024
or is it more detailed, e.g. involving mount -o loop /dev/loop1 and such?

2. Is there a command for faculty restoring?

Feedback for fastboot mode: I rebooted my Touch and did the same procedure as for diags mode... in MfgTool, I Started the fastboot mode, Windows began automatically searching for driver, couldn't locate and gave error "No driver found". Checking Device Manager, I see a device called Kindle in "Other devices" section, but by setting the path for drivers manually (Driver folder of MfgTool) it still says suitable driver not found!!!... so nothing happens on my Kindle Touch in fastboot mode! O_o

3. Misc. individual dignostics > Utilities > Enable USBnet gives out correct information regarding IP... I wonder why it doesn't work out with ssh and we have to push reverse shell!
There are a number of options available to you.

From diags you can export the USB Drive to add a data.tar.gz to launch RUNME.sh, like is used in ixtab's jailbreak. You can make a backup copy of mmcblk0p1 with:
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p1 of=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.img bs=1024
You can then export that to a host PC, where you can mount it, modify it, and use dd to write it back to /dev/mmcblk0p1. Or you can write it back with fastboot.

Or you can push a reverse shell to a host PC, then type linux commands at a root shell running in your kindle. You can repair your main partition from a root shell with:
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/mmc
then make repairs in /mnt/mmc/ which is where your "main" root is now mounted. Do not make changes to the diags root "/" that you booted from.

There will be more tools available soon (especially to assist with running RUNME.sh on a touch).

I do not know of any "driver" for fastboot mode. Yifanlu's kindle fastboot program communicates directly with the raw USB port using libusb (or equivalent), so no device driver is required. I have not tried the windows version. I use the linux version which works quite well (at least the parts that I needed). Thanks yifanlu!

Some files are removed from kindles before they are shipped. The touch is missing files needed to use SSH from diagnostics mode. Perhaps you can added the missing files later, to enable those menu items to function properly.

Last edited by geekmaster; 02-20-2012 at 04:57 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote