View Single Post
Old 01-31-2009, 05:09 AM   #27
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Did anything address the current world events, such as the beginnings of the Cold War and nuclear arms race?
The premise of the book seemed to take a lot of that for granted rather than exploring anything in depth. The "Reds" weren't explained much beyond being a force against which the agents had to fight. I think the book would have been more interesting if anyone (other than the fellow near the beginning who turns out to be a spy) had questioned this state of affairs. I suspect that Ms. Norton would have been labeled a communist sympathizer if she'd done that, however.

Quote:
Was Civil Rights and racial discrimination against man or alien touched upon?
Those issues don't seem to have been on the author's mind, either. There were two Agents of Asian descent, and it seems to be assumed that this would be sufficient for them to blend in in any Asian country, which I found a bit hard to swallow. While most Westerners have difficulty discerning between different Asian ethnic groups, it pushed my suspension of disbelief to think that they'd take care to make sure that the blond Scandinavian-looking fellows went to Nordic countries, but any Asian person would blend in with the Tartars.

Quote:
Or Equal Rights for women?
I only remember two women in the book, the priestess in the beginning and the healer women who helps Murdock when he loses his memory. Despite the author being female, she approached things very much as the male authors did so at the time, and did not give much consideration to female characters.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote