View Single Post
Old 11-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I use GIMP for anything vaguely serious in the way of graphics work. The covers of my first two books were done using GIMP, and it's layer features were critical to getting the photos merged as I wanted. I use Irfanview for viewing and very basic manipulations (cropping, resizing, its auto-correct feature can be handy for fast adjustments) and for batch work.

Yes, GIMP does take some learning, but it is very powerful. Learn to use the layers efficiently and all sorts of things become possible. It's text features I find particularly annoying in v2.6, I'm looking forward to trying v2.8 and see what they've done there.

I am far from an expert and regularly have to search out tutorials on how to do various things, but there are lots of them. For example, in some wedding photos a particular blue dress came out purple (or was it the other way ... I can't remember now, it's a while ago, anyway) and I was, with the help of tutorials, able to set up a small script in GIMP to correct the images and so save them from the trashcan.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote