View Single Post
Old 10-12-2005, 07:39 PM   #2
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
Ok, in my opinion, the only reason this won't be a total flop, is that Apple is simply *adding* the video-playing capabilities, and not changing the form-factor much...

I simply don't think the world is capable of handling mobile video at the moment, not unless Apple starts up an iTunes video store. Why not? Look at how hard it is to extract content from DVDs! You have to do the following...

1) Decrypt it, and rip it to your hard drive (violating the DMCA in the States, and taking up about 4.5 gigs of space).
2) Re-encode the raw DVD rip to something usable (Apple may provide a video encoding tool, but the chances of it handling DVD-rips is slim - too dangerous with the DMCA hanging around out there for Apple to encourage breaking it). (Re-encoding time varies, but usually takes longer than the movie takes to play, and takes an additional 500-1000 MB, depending on encoding settings).

So that's hours and hours of time, multiple-gigabytes, no easy way, and breaking the DMCA while you're at it, to get a DVD into an iPod-able format... I just really don't think this'll fly too well.

On the free video side, things are pretty barren. Short films, some feature length spoofs that are licensed under the Creative Commons or similar, some old movies who's copyright has run out, some music videos, and movie trailers.

I don't know about you, but if I'm using a $300-$400 (US) device to play videos, I'm not going to be happy with the small handful of movies available, nor with having to re-purchase things I already own, if the iTVS (video store) becomes reality...

Sure, you can rip DVDs, but it's not exactly easy or quick - and the DMCA means Apple cannot provide the tools to do it easily, not without legal trouble at any rate. And I highly doubt the average person would really be willing to go through the trouble needed to do it, as things stand.

Edit: I didn't notice before, but iTunes 6 (didn't they just release 5?!) apparently has video purchasing capabilities... No word on the DRM used, yet... Looking at the 'catalogue' as far as I can see online, they've apparently (according to Macslash) got... Wait for it, wait for it... Disney and ABC shows. Isn't that exciting? Not truly... Not for me anyway (maybe if they provided good, subtitled anime I'd be interes... Wait, I have fansub groups for that 'fix'!). I still think this'll be a bit of a flop.