View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 06:07 AM   #12
altruizine
Senior Altruist
altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox C67ML, Onyx Boox Note Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-ink View Post
If I have understood correctly, the reported improvements are solely driver made while the Display itself hasn't changed at all?
We don't really know yet, I suppose. The Linux display driver seems to be the very similar, at least (modulo the extension interface). But I don't know whether the closed-source extension module depends on new hardware; probably not.

Also, if the screen is indeed whiter than the T1's, that surely sounds like a hardware improvement. But the crispier text rendering some reviewers mention could be a result of improvements in the user-land Reader software (better fonts, modified antialiasing / hinting, better gamma correction).

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-ink View Post
Anything out there yet to insmod on the T1?
No. The new driver can be compiled as a module for the T1 kernel (I tried), but the regular T1 kernel has the original display driver (without the hooks) compiled in. Without the hooks, you couldn't load the proprietary module even if you had it (I don't).

I don't have much experience swapping display drivers, but I think a linked driver cannot easily be replaced by loading a module. You'd probably have to compile and load a new kernel (to which, I understand, you are well on your way? ) or do some dirty redirection magic.
altruizine is offline   Reply With Quote