View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #22
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Except for the CPU you can do that on a Mac Mini too. But I don't really consider a so-called barebones laptop to be a true home built computer. The ones I've seen come with a motherboard, LCD, battery/power supply, etc. With a home built desktop you can choose all of those items for a true custom built system, whereas your choices are very limited with a barebones laptop.
There are quite a number of barebones laptop options ranging from basic to very high end with SLI/XFire and 4-way RAID (yeah, I can only imagine the weight on that one). It's true, though, that when you choose the barebones laptop, you're choosing chassis, battery/power supply, LCD, touchpad, keyboard, motherboard and GPU at the same time. Alas, while I'm comfortable building my own desktops, laptops, I'd rather buy off the shelf and do some aftermarket upgrades (RAM and SSD).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The bad thing about barebones PCs is that if you screw it up who are you going to call? You are the CS rep, so get ready to call yourself and complain about the thing working wonky! Yep, no warranty either, except for individual parts. That might not matter to some, but it is certainly a consideration for many.
I've always been my own tech support so no issue there. Warranty for individual parts is usually longer than the 1-year warranty offered by most OEMs. However, that's exactly the reason I refuse to build PCs for other people. While I'm fine troubleshooting for myself, I'm not willing to play unpaid tech/warranty support for others.

Again, this is just my preference. I know majority of folks just want something that works and would rather not have to deal with any of the above issues. For some, that means Macs, most others, a Windows PC (probably because that's what they're familiar with thanks to software piracy).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote