View Single Post
Old 09-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
What, no historical or literary/general fiction?

It varies depending on what I'm in the mood to read and have available to hand. For example, over the past few weeks I've been mostly reading mystery/crime thrillers because of a large purchase of Agatha Christie books on sale and the purchase of two omnibuses of Jo Nesbø's Norwegian noir police procedural series and the subsequent trip to the library to look up the rest of his books.

But averaged over time (and looking over the contents of my past annual reading lists), I would have thought I would definitely fall into the sf/fantasy category for primary genre fiction reading given my long-term gravitation towards such, except that for two years running, it still looks like I read an equal or greater amount of mysteries (and this would make it a third year, if I manage to make major inroads into my Christie acquisition). (This may be due to the old Poisoned Pen Press and other freebie/discount promotions leading me to discover and binge-read all the available books from certain authors who just happen to write mostly mystery.)

Overall, I do consistently have my majority fiction reading definitely fall into the umbrella over-genre of "speculative fiction", which for me extends to science fiction, fantasy, experimental literary, historical (since the setting basically has to be reconstructed if you go back far enough), and occasional boundary-pushing mystery/thriller/other which play with our notions of how the world works/is approached by investigation/has a sufficiently imaginary setting. (I rarely read horror, even though it would technically fall under the umbrella.)

Mind you, as a personal choice it would probably be "speculative crossover", if I could regularly gather up enough decent books to fill it. I just happen to like alternate history whodunnits and invented political system espionage thrillers and screwball comedy airship adventures and such.

Last edited by ATDrake; 09-09-2014 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Fix broken linkage.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote