View Single Post
Old 11-10-2009, 10:15 AM   #1
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Downgrading to a 505 from the 700

After a year with my 700 I have decided to add the 505 to my arsenal of readers. I started with the 500 and then passed up the 505, finally upgrading last November to the 700. While I have enjoyed many of the features of the 700, not least of which is the increased internal memory and the faster processor speed, I am tired of having to recharge it every 4 or 5 days and I am growing tired of the contrast issue, reading through the touch-screen.

After having seen the new offerings, I am convinced that Sony, and indeed the entire ebook reader market (from all the offerings I've seen), is going backwards, and that the 505 may well be the high-point. So I went to all the area Targets and I'm not fortunate to live in an area where they have any of the 505 and/or covers at any price, let alone the wonderful prices many have listed here.

So I bought a brand new 505 on e-bay and am waiting for it to arrive. I also bought the lit cover, and that arrived yesterday and I can't say how thrilled I am with the illumination and coverage and I can't wait for the 505 to arrive so I can get back to reading without eye strain.

It's too bad that Sony couldn't simply have brought out a 510 with the processor and memory of the 700 but without the touch-screen, which I am convinced is a huge battery drain. And the internal lights of the 700 is a big drain as well, and since I read for between .5 and 1 hours every night in bed, I read with the light a lot.

Oh well -- at least I'll have a 505 soon!
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote