View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011, 11:17 PM   #7
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
Selling anything that isn't vital to life is a racket. Do you need a TV? You can watch a bird fly by or a sunset.
Do you need the nice house you live in? Probably not, a yurt should do nicely.

How about a vacuum? A broom would also do just as well wouldn't it?

Some people prefer a book, whether hard cover or paperback. Others prefer digital.
Talk about a "racket"...I'd say the publishers, whether paper or digital, have quite a racket going. And don't get me started on the movie and music industries.

LOL...It never ends.

I like my ereader because of its' convenience. I can carry hundreds of books with me at all times in my pants pocket and no one will notice. The pages do not fall out because they are so old the glue has dried out...I still have my original paper back of the "Hobbit" I bought in '67 for a 7th grade reading assignment...and have hundreds of books in boxes and hundreds in my pants pocket...wonder what group is easier to handle.
Regarding the resale value of books, whether hard cover or paper back...hmmm yard sales get maybe a buck for a hard cover and generally 20 cents for a paper back.

Used book stores are very few and very, very far between. There is not much money in the used book market for anyone.
There is not much of a market for a digital book either I'd expect. Though I'd give you a copy on a cd or email the file to you before I'd give you one of the many books I own.

Also I can go to the Gutenberg press and download thousands of books for free and read to my hearts content. No library card needed. No walking or wasting gas going to the local library to find out they only have one copy of that book that was published 20 years ago and it has been out for 6 months and probably won't be returned. I can download it easily at the "Gute". They also have books in many languages besides English.

Don't be so quick to dismiss the digital book world as a racket. Some parts yes but that is true of the world, always has been and always will...
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote