View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #407
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheeling View Post
My experience is that Amazon has user-unfriendly proprietary practices, but their whole business plan is built around them. I think competition will drive them to change, and the notion of a public or general DRM that allows users much more flexibility is bound to be implemented by someone. When they do, they'll grab market share. There isn't much Amazon can do to stave that off, so they'd best figure out how to go with the flow before they get into that current.
I don't think this is true at all. Amazon has proprietary practices, of course, but I think that they are very user friendly, which is *why* their business is built around them.

DRM is a separate issue, as Amazon's system works fine without it and Amazon has never cared about it. I suppose someone may come up with a more flexible DRM scheme that is acceptable to the publishers, but I'm not sure why that would cut Amazon out. (I'm also not certain that DRM is much of a real selling point for 90% of users.)
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote