View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 09:35 PM   #13
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Can someone who has the problem check if the screen fades under direct sunlight but behind a glass window? Another way is to shine a blacklight (UV light) on the screen and see if it fades.
I have a theory that the defective screens lose the static charge that holds the ink particles because of the UV radiation. Window glass blocks most of the UV wavelengths.
I had the problem pretty badly when I was visiting Phoenix sitting out on my IL's patio. Nearly unreable unless I shaded the screen during page turns.

Sitting in my sunniest window here in MN, it's not a problem, but then it's barely detectable if I take it outside here, either, and it was pretty sunny out today. However, it did show that a window cuts the effect to some extent. I asked for a replacement, I'm not waiting to see if it fades enough to be troublesome come August when I'm enjoying our brief warm weather on the pontoon boat! I didn't have an opportunity to try it in a sunny Phoenix window, as my IL's house has ginomous overhangs so there's never any direct sun
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote