View Single Post
Old 02-01-2014, 11:23 PM   #32
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I like seeing the covers on my Kindle Touch, because it is easier to find books at a glance -- and the space isn't that much of an issue, as 7/8 books instead of 6 isn't really a tremendous gain and the increased visibility over plain text is worth it.

That's also why I like cover view in calibre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
I'll second what meeera said, with a caveat: sometimes I'd rather not see the cover at all. Some publishers create covers that are so generic that they are nothing more than their imprint logo. With some ereaders and ereading software this is worse than useless and ugly: it makes it impossible to identify the book since only the cover is displayed.

When it comes to physical books though, I'll take colour any day. Greyscale would make the home a tad too drab.
I download the cover in calibre, then that gets sent over with the book. If the book has no cover (perhaps it has the infamous penguin instead) it will be updated on send (unless it's a MOBI, which doesn't support updating covers, but even then the cover view will use the thumbnail which IS updated).

Or you can always generate a default calibre cover, which is at least a little more informative than a stupid penguin.

Sony reader should be easier, as you don't have t worry about two formats, just epubs which can be updated.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote