View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #304
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Hey I don't mind if it was a bribe . It sure beats people who come to the threads and *demand* that an xyz feature or change must be made...

Glad to hear you got #2 sorted. As for the deletion, please take *no notice* of the "size" column. It is an utterly meaningless column (I don't ever bother displaying it) unless you only ever store one book format. It is only ever going to show you the size of the largest format, and even that is only at a "point in time" - editing the files using external tools like Sigil will make that number out of date.

This plugin compares the exact file size in bytes of the physical file, and only if those match does it then do the next step of computing and comparing an SHA hash. As I mentioned above - when it says you have a binary duplicate, it really *is* a duplicate.

The auto-delete function simply removes one of those binary copies, it doesn't touch your book records in calibre, so you lose zero data. I only added the feature as a convenience for users for two reasons:

(1) Since it is 100% safe to remove the duplicate file, it automates something that users otherwise expend a lot of the effort of one by one going through to do.

(2) It is impossible in the calibre GUI to show *which* format is the binary duplicate, in the scenario where both book records have multiple formats the same. Which means the users is left confused trying to work out which format it is safe for them to delete.

So... since it is 100% safe to delete them, I really don't think adding another dialog in there is necessary. That checkbox option to delete them is turned off by default in the plugin, but there is absolutely no downside to turning it on.

Anyways, enough on this. If you still aren't convinced, simply uncheck the option
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote