View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 07:22 PM   #70
riemann42
Zealot
riemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enough

Device: eSlick,nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
If prices go up from where they are now, I will simply buy less books. I will NOT pay more for an e-book than I would for a print book, in fact I demand the e-book be cheaper for the simple fact it has tiny printing/transport costs.
I agree for the most part. If I can go to B&N (there's one a mile from my house) and get the book for $5, whereas it is $7 as an eBook, I'll walk to B&N and get it. However, if it is $4 at Amazon, or online, I'll likely just pay the $5 to get it now.

Your behavior, fugazied, and mine, are both rational. For this reason, I believe ebooks will usually be priced to sell for less or same as the average physical copy, if for no other reason than the publisher will almost certainly make more money if you buy an eBook than if you get it from the store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht
John Sargent never promised this. He only promised that the price would drop to $10 or less, potentially down to $5.99 if there was a drop in demand. Presumably there would be a huge drop in demand for the ebook if it were priced higher than the cheapest paperback edition, but Sargent's been pretty coy about tying the ebook price directly to paper editions.
Good point. I hope that Mr. Sargent is not an idiot and prices eBooks above average retail of the physical book.
riemann42 is offline   Reply With Quote