View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012, 09:35 AM   #117
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
I have been complaining about poor/missing scribbling functions in the X60 (no file rename, no file name search, buggy export), preventing me from using it to take handwritten meeting notes at work.

I have found a workaround which I would like to share with anyone interested:

1. Write.
Use the Scribble function to take notes. If you need more than one page, use the Next page button to open a new blank page.

2. Export.
a. When the meeting/class is over, use the Export function to export the last page (Menu - Tools - Export). When prompted for a title, simply enter the page number (if you're exporting page 3, enter 3 for title - if you have 10 or more pages, use a leading zero for single-digit numbers, e.g. 03).
b. Delete the scribble page you have just exported. This will take you to the previous page - now export this page, entering the appropriate page number for title.
c. Repeat this step until all pages are exported.

3. Rename.
Go to folder SD card - Notes, and select the folder with the appropriate name (Scribble #) that was created automatically when you exported your scribbles. Rename it as you like (I use "yyyy mm dd" followed by the meeting topic and keywords).

4. Enjoy.
a. You can now search for this folder (=meeting) using the keywords in the folder name. By default, the folders are sorted by title, so if you use the “yyyy mm dd” format I suggested above, your folders will be sorted chronologically.
b. If you open the folder, you will see your exported pages as 1.png, 2.png, etc. Nice thing is, even though the pages are all separate png files, you can flip through them as if they were appended together: just open the first one, and press the right arrow button to go to the next one.
c. If you want to have a backup copy (always a good idea), or to share your notes, the folders will be visible when you connect your device to a computer.

Conclusion: using this method, the Onyx Boox X60 is usable for taking handwritten notes in a school or office setting. I just wish the pages of one scribble could be exported in one step… Better yet, if it was possible to rename, search and export (to a pc) the scribbles themselves, it would not even be necessary to export them to png at all… This is exactly how my ASUS EeeNote EA-800 works, so I will stick with it for now – even though I am attracted by the high-contrast e-ink screen of the Boox.

Any related handwriting experiences with Onyx, PocketBook, Hanvon, Sony, or other e-readers?
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote