View Single Post
Old 09-16-2011, 11:18 AM   #7
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
If you don't want to trawl through all the pages trying to find the discussion, the posts can be found starting here from drMerry with my responses immediately afterwards. To summarise the main issues were:
  1. Would not show where there are books missing at the end of a series
  2. Handling various numbering schemes
  3. Presenting the results
Of those issues above, the first cannot be helped - the onus is on the person managing the library to "find" that there are new books for a series manually using external sources.

The second issue can be worked around by putting in place a limitation that the check would only handle missing integer values. Won't please everyone's requirements such as those listed by drMerry for magazines etc, but will help out others like the OP.

The third issue is presenting the results. How can you display usefully to the user information about the books that they have missing in a series? Obviously I could write messages to the log file, and leave it to the user to copy to the clipboard for displaying somewhere while they work through them. From a search perspective, what else should it do? Should it display all the books in those series that are missing books? Or something else?

As I mentioned in post #123 this specific feature was one I was willing to revisit at some point for inclusion - provided people can agree that it is useful enough and how best to display the "results".
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote