View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 06:58 PM   #11
thorn
Connoisseur
thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.

Device: currently: ipod touch
If a pdf is a single huge column/normal-looking textblock, I convert so I can have the note-taking, underlining, and integrated dictionary functionality.

I'm reading heaps of articles for a class, right now, and all of those available as pdf-only are 2-or-more columns. Like the New Yorker or New York Times in print. In my experience, those don't convert *at all*. If something's changed on that, someone Please Let Me Know.

The last time I tried converting multi-column pdf's with Mobipocket Creator and Calibre, it strung line 1 of columns 1-3 (and lines 2, 3, etc.) all together into a single line that made no sense read on the Kindle.

These days, I just move any multi-column pdf's directly onto my K2, and read in landscape mode. For my life, it's better than spring semester last year (from Feb. on). Back then, the only practical means I had to avoid printing my pdf readings, was to read them on my iPod touch -- first via Evernote (sync, 'favorite' everything for offline reading... better than printing, but a hassle); then using GoodReader (which was 5 bucks, but worth it). GoodReader and Evernote don't allow note-taking on pdf's any more than Kindle does; I'm just glad to have everything on one device.

Last edited by thorn; 01-23-2010 at 07:01 PM.
thorn is offline   Reply With Quote