Thread: Glo Bad battery?
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #80
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
The chapters appear fine to me. I'm not an expert, but the few chapter links I tried were fine. I should reiterate that the book (Inside Scientology) worked just fine on my Sony. In fact, the only issues I've had on either of my Sonys were the very odd wonky epub that would hang the reader. Tweaking them through Calibre generally fixed them.

The battery has dropped from 72% to 46% in 24 hours. It's only had 2 depletions/charges since being received, but I doubt this is a calibration issue.

Not sure why I'd have 2 bum Glo's in a row. Out of 2 Sonys and 3 Kobo models, this is the only one that's given us trouble. If it's an issue of not being able to deal with side-loaded epubs, then it's absolutely useless to me. I can't see that being the case though.

It's unfortunate Kobo hasn't gotten back to you yet on your problem. What I do in customer service cases like these, is keep a complete log of all events, contact attempts, etc.
Man that sounds very un-fun. I can't imagine that being a calibration issue either, and it indeed doesn't sound like it's a wrongly formatted epub. I strongly doubt it's a sideloading issue as well as the same firmware on the Touch has no issues. Kobo got back to me today with not very helpful comments for me, but maybe they'll be useful for you so I posted them in the spoiler. They basically state that the light will use lots of battery so if I constantly use that, that could be my problem. But come on... 5 days? Nonsense. Especially not as it's in sleep mode most of the time and I hardly read on the Glo whilst testing so not much light was used at all.

Spoiler:
Hi "Mrs_Often",

Thank you for contacting Kobo Customer Care. We apologize for any inconvenience, please follow the next steps to help rectify the issue and get back to us if the battery still only last for half of what is suggested. Also keep in mind that using the light will deplete the battery faster than normally, so even a replacement could be the same so if you use this feature constantly keep in mind battery will last less longer.

If your eReader appears to be frozen on one page, or will not turn on, try these steps to resolve the issue:

Ensure that you have charged your eReader for three hours using the micro USB cable that came with it
Try charging with a different USB cable
Try charging using a different USB port
Try charging using a different computer

Complete a basic reset

A. Straighten a paper clip
B. Find the hole to the left of the USB connector
C. Poke the paper clip into the hole until it clicks
D. Remove the paper clip

If issue persists continue below

Power the device off and then on again

A. Slide the power button to the right for 5 to 6 seconds to turn it off
B. Wait 15 seconds
C. Slide the button to the right again to turn it on

If issue persists continue below

Completing a Factory Reset

Warning: a factory reset on a Kobo Glo returns the device to its 'out-of-the-box' condition - all updates, documents, and books will be deleted - however, a sync will restore the Kobo Library

INTERNAL:
A. Press the Home icon
B. Tap the Settings icon (three lines, upper right)
C. Tap Settings
D. Tap Device Information
E. Tap FACTORY RESET
F. Tap RESET NOW
G. Re-Setup your Device with the Kobo Desktop when you see the eReader & Cable picture on the Screen

EXTERNAL:
A. With the Device Turned On
B. Press and Hold the Light Button on Top of the Device
C. Then use a Paperclip in the hole on the Bottom until it clicks
D. The Power Light will blink RED twice
E. When the Light turns GREEN, Let go of the Light Button
F. The Light should start to flicker WHITE, and will continue to flicker while it resets itself
G. Re-Setup your Device with the Kobo Desktop when you see the eReader & Cable picture on the Screen

Please let us know if you have anymore questions and concerns.

Sincerely,

The Kobo Team.

I contacted them again explaining I tried all that prior to contacting them (as I had also already stated in my first e-mail), and gave them more specific details of the length of the battery life for all the cycles I tested. So, I'm now awaiting a follow up reply.

EDIT: I just got that follow up reply. Nice and quick! This time it's simply "my device will have to be replaced/repaired" and please provide your details (that I'd already given, but oh well). So, eagerly waiting to know what the rest of the procedure is going to be!

EDIT 2: Reply 3 tells me I'll get a replacement But I have to send my Glo first and pay for insured postage, luckily within the Netherlands so that's ok.

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 01-27-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote