Thread: A4 PDF
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 10:15 AM   #8
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleykenb View Post
I'd like to start a new thread on the topic of reading A4 PDF's on an A5 device (like the Cybook Gen3).

Im disappointed with what the Cybook Gen3 can do for me when it comes to A4 PDFs. I don't blame the device, I've read enough to understand that it's only logical that an A5 device can't display A4 Pdfs very well. Everything seems to depend on the font size within the PDF...

But Ive also read about many tools that people use to make the experience more pleasureable so Im hopeing to get a nice thread that can be used as some sort of FAQ on the topic.

Furthermore Im going to try to find new methods of making things more pleasurable with PDFs, two things I have not read about so far but that can be of interest :
1) there are tools to convert PDF to TXT, I think these would help depending on the graphicallity (so to speak) of the PDF involved
2) another tool : pdftops can be used to convert PDFs to PostScript and there should be a tool called 'psresize' which allows for a reformat from A4 to A5 but I could not find it yesterday.
3) Isnt there a way to use a binary editor to change the font size ?

Pdftotxt is free on linux; and there is also a website from Acrobat where you can upload your file and have it pdf to txt for you.
Also, since I can convert PDF to PS, isnt it possible to use software, e.g. OpenOffice to then read that PS and convert it to A5 - and then you could just export it as PDF or even some other format like RTF ... ?
Do you have a nice, small, Windows system around? If so, and if the PDF document is mostly text, why not just run it through BookDesigner? That does a bang-up job of converting to all the major ebook formats, including Mobipocket.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote