View Single Post
Old 09-08-2009, 09:58 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
nate, i took at look at your definition on wikipedia :

Quote:
Liseuse refers specifically to a hardware device that is used as an ebook reader. is a word created by members of MobileRead Forums, an online community dedicated to ebooks and ebook readers. It is taken from the French word liseur (reader). The primary reason this word was developed was to differentiate the person reading the ebook from the device being read.
it's good, but i would recommend a few changes.

you could mention that "liseuse" is actually a french word which has several definitions. the primary one is a woman who particularly enjoys reading (to differentiate from a "lectrice" which just means a woman engaged in the act of reading, or "lecteur" which is the masculine form of the word).

it has already gained popularity in french to mean "a dedicated reading device" so the word is not actually made up neither originally nor in this use. the neologism does therefore exist, and it's more a question of transitioning to use in english.

you might want to edit your article to mention those two bits of info. for instance, something like this :

Quote:
Liseuse is a french word, used to refer to a dedicated hardware device that is used for reading ebooks. One of its original meanings is "a woman who enjoys reading". It is widely used in french to refer to dedicated reading devices and has been adopted in english as well by members of MobileRead Forums, an online community dedicated to ebooks and ebook readers. The primary reason for its popularity is to differentiate the person reading the ebook from the device being read.
just a suggestion, it can surely be improved, but it's quite late here so i'm not quite up to thinking more about it just now.

it would be easy to find several french language blogs using it in this way, i'm not sure whether that would help the case or not but it might.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote