View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
>>and it is not in a standard notation<<

The notation in the screen shot looks to be standard algebraic notation. What is nonstandard about it?

BTW, I realize it's the rules, and I've heard mention of some odd situations where one might want to choose to promote a pawn to a knight, but why on earth would anyone ever choose a rook or bishop over a queen? That seems rather pointless.

ApK
While the notation is 'algebraic', it is not even close to being 'standard'. See
Algebraic Chess Notation on Wikipedia.

There are (rare) situations where promoting to a queen would result in stalemate rather than a win, because doing so denies the opposing side the ability to move anything. But the point is, the rules permit a choice of promotion, so the game should allow it.

I imagine they have dumbed things down in an attempt to appeal to a broader audience, and save a few days of programming and testing, but it seems a little lazy and dismissive of those of us who have a less casual interest in chess.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote