Thread: Print List
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010, 07:55 PM   #6
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
... and that is one of the reasons people invented spreadsheet programs in the first place (I'm not criticizing, but I have to confess that my inner geek just died a little thinking about editing tabular data in a word processor.)

EDIT: This is totally off topic. It's late. I should be in bed. Don't mind me.
Heck, I didn't even mind my Mama.

As I said, Word happened to be easier for me for this. If I do my sorts in calibre first, then create the CSV file, all I have to do is paste it as a table into page 2 of a preformatted Word template I have set the font size in, set margins to almost zero, and presized the pages to the same size as my JetBook Lite screen. I could hide the cell lines but I find it easier to read if I leave them in. I make a simple Table of Contents on page 1 to show which page each letter starts on so I can jump to that page instead of scrolling through the whole thing, then I create a PDF of the doc with Adobe Acrobat 9 Standard (accessed from within Word 2007) and put it on my JBL. I would have to go through almost twice as many steps to do the same in Excel. This works for me only because I don't have to do any editing once it's pasted in Word.

My inner geek is a lazy old bitch (as am I).
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote