View Single Post
Old 07-28-2011, 09:15 AM   #11
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't need auto-scrolling, just plain scrolling. I used to be into auto-scrolling, and put a fair amount of working into getting it working well in Plucker, but eventually I stopped using it.

I just tried Coolreader. My test epub, and not just a test since it's a book I need to be able to refer to quickly (look up passages at conferences, for instance), is Aquinas' Summa Theologica again. Coolreader took over a minute to open it. Drag-scrolling was unusably slow. Paging with the volume keys took about two seconds. Eek. And I couldn't click on the links.

But it looks really good and has a ton of nice options.

My suspicion from my experiments is that for some reason the epub readers are reading the whole file, and doing something with it. I don't know what. Paginating it into a single whole?! Why? Each segment of the epub is 260K and the epub format is a zip file, hence is indexed for random access of each segment. It shouldn't take more than a second or two to load in a segment and to format it.
pruss is offline   Reply With Quote