View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009, 11:27 AM   #9
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
No, as if you're used to the 505, the 700's screen will be disappointing.

If you'd been new to eInk, then you'd have been OK, as the screen's simliar to the 500, which, while not as good as the 505, is perfectly adequate.
I still have my 500. I did not feel that the 505 was wort the effort or money required to change. Both the 505 and the 700 will give you a great reading experience. While screen quality is important, it should not be the sole criteria for selecting either unit.

Go to a store, hold them in your hands, turn a few pages. Which unit feels better. After a day or so your eyes will adjust to the screens, if the unit is awkward to use you may never adjust.

It is a lot like picking a camera. Some feel right in your hands while others do not. Even if a unit has great specifications, if it is not right in your hands you will never use it it fully. Yes, the 505 has a better screen than the 500 or the 700; but, I feel that the controls make it awkward to use. The 500 is natural for me and the first time I picked up the 700 it felt like I had been using it for years.

Also the OS on the 700 is far better than the OS on the 505. (Speculation has it that a future release of the firmware for the 505 will update it to the 700's level. Never buy a unit based on what the manufacturer might do in the future.)

Good luck.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote