View Single Post
Old 05-15-2015, 02:20 AM   #6
fastrobot
Connoisseur
fastrobot is a marvel to beholdfastrobot is a marvel to beholdfastrobot is a marvel to beholdfastrobot is a marvel to beholdfastrobot is a marvel to beholdfastrobot is a marvel to beholdfastrobot is a marvel to beholdfastrobot is a marvel to beholdfastrobot is a marvel to beholdfastrobot is a marvel to beholdfastrobot is a marvel to behold

Device: KOBO AuraHD and GLO
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I haven't tried it, and I can't at the moment, but my assumption is that if you change the password to your account using the Kobo site, that will disable access to the account from the device. If I have a chance over the weekend, I will try this with a spare device and account.

But, you can remove the credit card from the account on the site. That will stop them buying more books using your card.
yes... and it will stop me from buying books too...
So -- I have to do the hokey pokey every time I want to buy a book.
Changing the password would likely stop my reader from accessing the store -- but I would have to know the reader is stolen, and do it quickly; and if my son borrows my reader for a day, I might not know it got stolen.... (!). in the interim -- they can still buy books...

Quote:
For sideloaded books with DRM, they will be able to read them, but I'm not sure if they will be able to copy them from the device and read them elsewhere. The DRM removal tools use keys from the PC but I don't know if they are on the device in a way they can access them.
The DRM looks pretty solid.
Note: I don't have a windows PC -- I have linux, only / no KOBO client on a desktop machine at all. I was able to trick the Kobo into registering, and then I can log in -- but only after an update to the newer firmware. The KOBO itself is the only way I can buy books from the Kobo store, so I don't want to ruin it.
fastrobot is offline   Reply With Quote