View Single Post
Old 10-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #17
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You are certainly entitled to that. But, also you can't complain if you try to do something outside of the designed and built in firmware. I doubt Sony cares if you hack it... but don't come crying to them for support and fix if that causes you trouble.
There seems to be some sort of a misunderstanding here. I never said I thought LRF was slower than EPUB. To me, LRF is perfectly fine.

With regards to hacking, I never said I expected Sony to support my or anyone else's modifications to the Reader, or other possible undocumented uses. Anyone using the Reader outside of it's prescribed parameters is on their own, and I'm fairly sure everyone knows that. Let's not be naive.

All I wanted to say--and I agree I should have been more specific--is that what I do with my own device is my own decision. Sony or anyone else can't tell me what I can or can not do with it. I payed for it, it's mine. If I want to completely rewrite its firmware, I have the complete right to do so.

Having said all that, I never intended to use Sony's Library software. I have it installed to check the edits to books I convert to LRF with Book Designer, because it is the only app that has faithful reproduction of what the LRF file will look like on the Reader. I use calibre for ebook transfers, have changed my default fonts, use a wide variety of firmware hacks etc... if something breaks because of any of my modifications, I won't be "crying to Sony".
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote