View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #53
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Well that isn't what unintentional means. Something doesn't have to be nefarious to be intentional.
I don't think senior management ordered it, but I do think (because they have admitted it), that people within Google did intentionally design and deploy wardriving code.
How could it be otherwise in a company of that size? I was once a programmer (industrial control) and the plotting and scheming that goes on in even that specialized, relatively stable environment, is phenonomal.

I have three friends who are IT managers in companys selling data storage and management to medium sized businesses. They have all built in back doors and in more than one case booby traps into the systems.

I have asked them why and get a longwinded explanation involving paranoid revenge scenarios or the more honest "Because I can". Generally their employers don't know about it officially, but if I have been told about it by them personally I am sure many others have been as well.

I try not to store any business or banking or other confidential information even on my own hard drives except for one external drive I have for that purpose and do not attach when I am online. Not that I think anyone particularly wants my info, but seems sensible (and easy and cheap).

Like they say with asassination, no-one is safe if someone really wants to kill you, no-one is safe if they really want your data. Cloud storage with Google is no more dangerous than gmail with Google or Hotmail with Microsoft or the many social networking sites. If someone targets you, even for advertising purposes, they can get information a lot of easier ways than by searching through your cloud data or the whole world's cloud data.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote