View Single Post
Old 01-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #127
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
It brings up an interesting question: Has this changed anyone's reading habits?

There are certainly any number of "classic" works I've always meant to read, but money to buy them and time to read them have generally been in too short a supply. With ebook reading devices and good quality electronic copies of public domain texts widely available, the second problem largely goes away, and the first problem is lessened. With a reading device that goes with me anywhere, I can open a classic and read whenever I have a few spare minutes, like in transit on a subway. (I can do that with a pbook, too, but there are limits to what I can/want to carry when out.)

I'm certainly reading a lot more stuff I wouldn't have before ebooks, though the "classics" tend to be non-fiction - history, philosophy, essays and the like. I haven't quite summoned up the energy and desire to read War and Peace (and have no idea how good the PD translations are.)

What has been the experience of others?
______
Dennis

I read a bit more now. 1 or 2 books a month or so, vs maybe 5 or 6 a year before (not counting reading academic stuff for work etc.). That's just because the convenience. I hated going the library and dealing with due dates, renewals etc., and hated buying books I'd only read once and then have cluttering the condo--until I move and end up chucking it in a donation bin somewhere.

In terms of what I read, it hasn't changed. Still reading a mix of fiction (with a lot of fantasy), some non-fiction and the occasional classic as I was before. Just reading a bit more overall due to the convenience.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote