View Single Post
Old 10-08-2011, 12:15 AM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
Thanks for all the great answers. Seems pretty unanimous that I should just write the story I care about, rather than wait until I feel "worthy" of writing it.

The bits about the benefit of desire in writing hit home. After seeing your comments, it does seem pretty self-evident that it would be frustrating to write something I don't care much about, just to learn the process. I trust I can either clean up the story, or that inspiration will hit again later with another "best" story idea.
I agree there is something to be said about the 'desire' to write a given story too. If you don't really find the story interesting then it will show in your writing as well. I remember in college I took a customer service course and one tip that I remember was that when you talk to someone over the phone have a smile on your face. The reason being that even though they can't see your face something of the smile is transmitted via your voice. The same thing applies to writing I think. If you don't enjoy the story when you're writing it that will show in ways that you might not imagine. So a good mindset is just as much a part of writing as knowing how to properly string words together.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote