View Single Post
Old 03-18-2008, 02:29 PM   #4
rio
rio is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
The second solution is to use my AbiWord port on the iLiad to natively view and edit the document. However, this isn't for the faint of heart. If you want to do any serious amount of typing, you'll really want to setup the USB keyboard modules, and edit that way. Also, screen refreshes can be a bit annoying since it's using an unsupported method of initiating them. But, if you have the patience and technical knowledge, it would work pretty well for keeping your document in the .doc format and being able to make changes on your iLiad and then see it on your PC.
Is editing with abiword a realistic option, independently of the problem of reading microsoft docs files ? I mean, even with a usb keyboard I would have thought the redisplay while editing would have been too slow to properly edit the text. Or are you only invalidating small parts of the screen with your port, and is that enough ? What are the options to refresh the screen, programmatically ? (I am waiting for my iliad to arrive, but one of the thing I'm planning to do is to port gnustep on it)

Last edited by rio; 03-18-2008 at 02:33 PM.
rio is offline   Reply With Quote