View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 07:19 PM   #18
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Lenovo Tab 4 8" (formerly many others)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CazMar View Post
I can see a midsize tablet w/- phone capability being a very useful tool for many people.
I have had my Note for about two weeks. The screen size of 5.3" seems optimal between "still viable as a phone" and "comfortable enough as an ebook reader". Actually, it is the screen size combined with the resolution and speedy zoom, otherwise it wouldn't be so great.

I can see two main areas where Note could be the right device: PDF and magazine reading. It is comfortable enough to be carried anywhere, as one does with a mobile phone and the screen is big enough for an average magazine or PDF to be displayed full-size. I am able to read most PDFs on the Note without even zooming in (yes, I have a good eyesight!) and if I need to zoom, I can either "pinch" or double-tap the screen and the zoom is instantaneous. I have also tried one Zinio magazine and it is quite readable on Note.

Obviously, a 7" or 10" tablet would be much more comfortable for the eyes, but not so for the hands. To carry anything bigger than 5" one needs a bag or rucksack, while the Note still fits in the pocket.

Not long ago I had a Jetbook, which was slightly bigger than the Note, but PDF reading was a nightmare - screen resolution was too small, so I needed to zoom in all the time and every zoom-in or -out took so much time I just gave up.
macminer is offline   Reply With Quote