View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 04:46 PM   #101
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
You simply can't receive channels anymore without a digital receiver. They stopped broadcasting those in 2006, I believe. So, either you need cable, a dish, a digital antenna + receiver (which will cost you money every month as well), or highspeed broadband and some location where you can download stuff. Things like video-on-demand are fairly new. And you won't be able to see the local channels...
Yes, in the US analog was turned off June 12, 2009. Some countries have done it sooner, some (EU I think) will do it by 2012.

That said, there's no such thing as a "digital antenna". An antenna is an antenna. you just need one that is tunned for the correct frequencies... for most of the US that means a UHF antenna.. although there are some stations that are technically VHF but only on the high end of it. I have a combo UHF/VHF antenna, as I said it cost me $35.

Also, why would you need to pay every month for a digital receiver? Assuming you don't have one built into your TV you can buy one for $30 - $60 at least in the US. There is no monthly fee for that.

I am not faulting you for paying for cable... if that works better for you in your location based on the prices etc... more power to ya.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote