View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 07:00 AM   #15
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
(Apologies, quoting out of order to make replying easier)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
This has been going on for a few days now. Protests etc...and now this:

Witness: Woman uses crowbar to bash into display, destroy controversial artwork featuring Jesus in Loveland....
As someone who didn't know until just now that Loveland was a town, I could see why an artwork that looked to be called "Jesus in Loveland" might be seen as controversial

(And having read the article, that would seem like a reasonable subtitle for the piece, assuming the artist did actually intend to depict Jesus...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
But what if other people's beliefs are wrong or dangerous?
Quote:
Originally Posted by weateallthepies View Post
Seriously though, I don't buy into this "beliefs should be respected" idea that gets thrown around. You can justify all sorts of crazy stuff by hiding behind your 'respected' beliefs. Beliefs should be challenged, they will stand or fall on their merit and the arguments of those defending them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Freedom of religion. Let people practice it the way their religion dictates it. We should respect it.
I have no objection to people believing what they want to. It's only when they start insisting other people believe the same things, or respect them for what they believe I have issues. Respect is optional for anything, imo. Personally, I tend to respect actions more than beliefs anyway. (I shouldn't have to add this, but I'm going to. Just because I don't automatically grant respect to a person's beliefs doesn't mean I am rude to them etc. I try to act in a manner I consider decent towards everyone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Why do people do "in your face" stuff and then act all surprised when it bites them in the butt?
Sometimes because they genuinely don't think what they are doing is all that "in your face"; or because they are so convinced of their own arguments they just can't conceive that anyone would take it the wrong way; or because what they are reacting against is something they consider to be "in your face"; or to draw attention to something they feel is important when other means have failed.

And yes, sometimes just for the attention.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote