View Single Post
Old 08-11-2010, 09:24 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey View Post
I've changed this a little to

* Title is an exact match
* Title begins with the title
* Author exists in authors collection
* books with coverart
* books with longer descriptions

Any thoughts suggestions would be appreciated.
Code tweaks are always welcome.

Fuzzy title/author matching is fraught with risks when doing automated downloading of metadata. By default, Calibre overwrites the author/title found during the search, so you have to be certain it's a pretty good match or risk losing the basic info Calibre uses to identify the book.

My personal bugaboo is when the search title has an apostrophe and the online data does not, or vice-a-versa. I'm constantly re-fetching by adding or removing an apostrophe.

FYI, I can think of two other spots in Calibre's code that do fuzzy matching like this. One is the automatic sorting during Add Books with the "If books with similar author...." option. That does a fuzzy match on title if there is an exact match on author. The fuzzy match is not aggressive - it mostly ignores words like "a," "an" and "the" and non-alphanumeric characters. The other is in Chaley's code that identifies books on a device that are also in the Calibre database.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote