View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 11:29 PM   #50
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Sony's silence throughout 2010 -- which has seen extraordinary upheavals in market offerings -- has left it in the sidelines. It simply must respond, and soon, to stay in the game. Yes, outside of the US its prospects are stronger ... but even there it has not extended product capability an iota this year. If Sony has a magic bullet, surely it must load and pull that trigger very soon or, like the tree falling in the forest with no one around, the shot will not be heard.
Well, it may be that they saw the economic bloodbath that went with the rapid drop in camera prices that forced some long time players in that market out of the business all together and decided a 'go-slow' year might not be a bad use of their resources. After all, they are not a small company that HAS to be seen as constantly producing new products. And they do have the resources to 'buy' their way into market share once they decide on what they want to do.

By the end of the year, they should know what the hardware target prices they will need to engineer to, they will know if their move to ePub was economically sound (from THEIR perspective), and they will have a better understanding of what the average consumer expects in an eReading experience. They will also have a better understanding of the iPad and it's inevitable work-alike clones will do to the market.

Of course, there is always the risk that they will decide to abandon the market completely, which I think would be a shame, they've made a real contribution to eReading. But I think if I were in their position, I'd certainly consider a go-slow year.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote